Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Old fashioned shed build-flooring and windows.


The flooring for Mr CH's shed arrived, he decided to use the same flooring that we used for the bathroom floor of the Reno cottage, water resistant particle board sheets, the brand name is Yellow tongue Sructaflor.
 Pdf  manual (44mb) on recommended installation is also available if you are thinking of using this product.
These sheets are often used under floating floorboard floors, however Mr CH had decided this is plenty good enough for his floor as is (after toying with varnishing/painting decisions). The sheets have a resin treatment to inhibit moisture which also gives it a smooth surface. We have good air ventilation underneath as well. As you've might have realised, we are going with a fitted floor construction (frames built first) which has the added difficulty of fitting the floor neatly inside of the completed framing with minimal gaps around the edges. The disadvantage of this is that there is little scope for slack measuring (me).
 

Forgot to take progress pics of the laying, blink and miss kinda thing. We moved the boards inside the same day they were delivered so they could acclimatise quickly (they are so heavy, which wore us out) The next day they were cut and laid (un-nailed). It is recommended that adhesive be run on the upside of the bearers before laying, Mr CH chose not to glue, as we are have used green hardwood for our construction (which is still drying) and he intended to rely on his nailing (nail gunned 65mm nails) instead. The boards were levered as tight as possible using a stud and block against the subfloor bearers. The last small board was dropped into place and fitted with wedges. Stringlines along the joists from wall to wall (which happen to line up with the studs) were used to mark the dots for nailing.
 

Yellow tongue flooring (19mm).
 

The good joins. The yellow stuff is the waxy edging.


The dodgy joins. Instead of prising up the heavy boards and trimming a sliver, Mr CH is happy to live with a gap or two. While I try to remember it is a shed. Glue and sawdust?


After nailing. The sheets butt together over a bearer for strength.


Only a few months ago.


Mr CH decided to use a piece leftover from the Reno cottage for the last corner piece. It's different in colour, but he doesn't mind because it will be under his bench and it means he can save the extra piece he was going to cut for shelving. Plus he will also have a full length shelf above the door from the side offcuts.



These old doors will be sliders. Hopefully.


Only one part of the flooring was damaged before it arrived and by complete fluke ended up at the opening of the sliding doors. This opening will be edged with some hardwood floorboards (leftovers from our house extension) so it won't matter.
 

Will never be this clean or tidy again.

Framing and fitting the windows

 
These three windows were freebies from a friend. He noticed that a neighbour down his road had left them outside after changing some windows and asked if he wanted them, which he didn't. They are in great condition no painting needed, just a good clean of the friction hinges to allow for easier opening of the windows.
Mr CH laid the windows down and built the frame around them. The frames were glued, nailed (and braced) and allowed to dry for a few days.
 

We bought these two single windows from a demo yard for $22 each, which we thought was worth that for the large panes of glass alone. These windows will need painting. One has a corner cut off which will need a patch-up job later on. These are for the windows that will face the road end of the shed, which is why this glass will be good for privacy.
 


Nailed into place.




Some progress to the walls.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...