Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Home Sweet Home - oiling the veranda floor.


I know I have yet to share pics of the Reno cottage's veranda done, however I've just spent three days (on my own) working my butt off (totally aching gluteus maximus!!), sanding and oiling our veranda floor. Trying to tick off a few jobs before the heat of summer, and this is one that I have been putting off for a long time. So after one day sanding (I'd left it too long between coats) and scraping out dirt and such from between the cracks and two days of oiling, the floor is looking pretty good if I do say so.
I used Feast Watson Decking oil, and I think this has been a pleasantly surprising product. It smells quite nice in a bubble gum putty kind of way, was lovely to apply and has dried more like a varnish than an oil. Other decking oils we have tried in the past have left the floor a bit tacky and dirt catching. It takes 7 days to fully cure and four hours between recoats. I left it to dry overnight between the second and third coats. I hope it recoats well down the track.



Forgot to sand the doorway until I had started cutting in (brushed first coat). These are the quirky little things that I love about living in a century old house.


After three coats.
 

Glad there is still some evidence left.


We removed two walls either side of the front door a few years after we bought the house, one wall had been built in very early on. It had the same skirting as the rest of the house and had more permanent cut-ins on the bracing (which you can see in a pic further down), hence the holes and nail marks in the floor. More evidence of a constantly adapting house.
 

Now we just need a doormat the cat won't shred.


A typical snowball effect, the ceiling also needed cleaning, also the lattice doors and side panels were looking a little grotty and before I knew it, I'd cleaned the fanlight, the hallway ceiling and checked the smoke alarm. That's why it's too painful to sit down, I've been up and down a ladder for days.


We made a decision recently, to keep our heritage-creamy walls for a few years longer. Choosing my words carefully! Think colour totally suits this house and believe current trends are not for us. Needs a sunny happy colour. Luckily we're all different.

 
Dug out this pic from our past, the colour history of the veranda.  We did know that at one stage part of our house was pale/deep pink and two shades of forest green. Trying to imagine this house as pink. There's a pink house up the road, confident people. Thinking also, only mission brown would give us a break from wall washing.
 
 
Eight months on, how do I like having painted floorboards? Surprisingly very much. I thought I might be a slave to keeping them clean, however they hardly need mopping (once or twice a month).  There has been some black scuff marks from boy's shoes, which need a rub with the finger to remove and also a bit of shrinkage around the fireplace which we kind of expected, but I think I might be a convert. I do give them a quick sweep each day which probably helps. I think as long as we keep a good coat of clear varnish over all, they should wear well. I particularly love how they guide me in the dark without the need to turn on lights, very useful.
 
 
'Tis a blissful thing, enveloped in the warmth of early morning sunlight and the heat of a feverish stupor, knowing the chores are up to date and the house is full of food. Having the cat for company and the dog on guard duty. The gentle prompting to prepoll vote earlier in the week and knowing only two pairs of school shorts needed ironing has only added to the peace of mind as I enjoy an unusually quite house and a snooze on the veranda couch.
Surely one of the luxuries of being a SAHM. Will have to catch up another time when I'm over this lurgy (first for the year).
 
Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
Happy voting on Saturday. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy. It is all looking great. I am secretly looking forward to my youngest heading to kindy next year. Then I will have a few week day morning to myself....imagine! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic and probably feels like that also after all the hard work. Just think of all the lazy hours that you can spend relaxing there!! Loved your hall floor when you painted it and still do - so much so I am going to try something similar on my sewing/craft room floor!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The verandah floors have come up a treat - and what house hasn't been painted green at some point! First lurgy of the year - lucky you. It's been doing the rounds here all damn year. Bring on Summer. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Verandah floors look fantastic, we are oiling our new deck down here too. Love all the colours at your place, despite my rantings about custard and cream, I do very much like the butter of your external walls and they go with your floors beautifully. Our last house had coffee coloured walls, cream trim (two shades) and a hand mixed mulberry for the gutters and handrails and I still love it. Have to say I don't feel a lot of love for forest green or Betsy's cornflower blue, probably my too least favourite colours. Enjoy that sunshine with your quiet furry children. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a divine feeling, having a clean house, food prepared and a lovely sunny morning to rest...hope the lurgy is beaten by all that warmth and sunshine and you have a great and restful weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The verandah is looking great, and a lovely spot on the day bed to admire your handy work. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the floors! The varnished wood looks lovely and the painted ones are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your verandah looks fantastic!! No wonder you're so sore after all that hard work! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...