Sunday, June 23, 2013

Recipe filing.

 


I finally got around to finishing a cull and organisation of my recipe stash that I mentioned a while back. This has been on my to-do-list for longer than I'll admit to. Considering I have never bought an Australian Women's Weekly/ Family Circle etc. magazine in my whole life, I seem to have acquired a ridiculous pile of zip-out-booklets, probably from my mother and aunt, on everything from slimming with seafood to new ways with chicken. I'm really trying to resist adding recipes, esp. those free supermarket ones and the ones on the side of food packets, and instead concentrate on try, throw or keep recipes instead. If I haven't tried it in the last 20 years, I probably won't.

Quite proud of the throw stack, a few hundred recipes.

Found a pic of a very young Livinia Nixon, looking all of 16/17 and and an ad for the Tab you can't buy in Australia anymore.
My oldest recipes in this file would have to be these biscuits and slices from 1974 in all their retro colour goodness.
 
Though this steamed orange pudding with chocolate sauce and winter casseroles are looking tempting at the moment.
Made a chicken pie with a sliced potato topping last winter, no joke, it looked like a cat sick pie in a photo, looked awful tasted lovely, hence my aversion to the whole photographing food thing.
 

Scrounged some plastic coated folders the Mr had emptied. Slipped inside the plastic some pretty paper and sticker title pages and used some of those plastic A4 sleeves to slip in recipe cut-outs from magazines, treasured hand written recipes and booklets. Started making dividers and then thought that was a bit too uptight even for me, I know where everything is. Biscuits, slices, cakes/ muffins, cheesecakes/ desserts, Christmas/ confectionery in the sweet folder (the biggest) and savoury slices, pasta, meat and soups and casseroles in the savoury folder. Glad it's done as it was driving me to distraction before, esp. when trying to find all the different pastry recipes I've been wanting to use lately. 
 


"Upside down Miss Jane!"

 Spiced apple crumble pie with custard
Passionfruit cake with freebie passionfruit.
Sour cream, roast beef, spinach flan with Parmesan crust.
Leftover vege tomato soup with broken pasta and cornbread. Wish all the family enjoyed cornbread.
 
I've been practicing photographing food in an attempt to banish my dislike of  it. I don't know about you, but I find attempting styling (my plonk and be done way) and taking pics of food very un-natural, do you ever get over the kids asking, "Why are you taking pictures of food, again?" or feeling a bit like a twit.
Do you enjoy taking pictures of food and do you ever make any recipes on other blogs? I find I save the recipes and eventually make about two thirds of them depending on conversions and ingredients I have at the time. I usually stick to Australian recipes unless they have dual conversions.


Made this easy jam shortcake last week and because I felt like playing a bit, I used a heart shaped cutter to make the top. Turned out kind of nice, I think. So simple.

APRICOT AND ALMOND SHORTCAKE

125grams butter                            1/2 cup warmed apricot jam/80gms
2 cups self raising flour/300gms            1 lightly beaten egg or milk for brushing
1/2 cup caster sugar/110gms                 1/3 cup lightly toasted flaked almonds/40g
1 tablespoon/ 20mls lemon juice                                                                  
1 lightly beaten egg/59gms                                                                               

  • Sift flour and rub in butter with fingertips to resemble fine crumbs.
  • Add sugar, egg and lemon juice and mixed gently until combined into dough, chill for 20mins.
  • Divide dough in two and roll out between baking paper.
  • Line bottom and sides of 20cm/8inch pan or tray with half of dough.
  • Spread with warm jam and sprinkle with toasted almond flakes.
  • Roll out remaining dough and cut heart shapes with 5 1/2 cm/ 2 inch cutter.
  • Arrange shapes on top of jam/almonds slightly overlapping.
  • Brush with egg or milk, sprinkle with sugar and bake in moderate oven(180c/350f) for 25 mins checking for browning.
  • Enjoy.
It's my favourite time of year to cook, are you cooking more, to warm up your house?

Two weeks school holidays!



3 comments:

  1. This is also something on my to-do-list when we move into the new house. I have boxes and boxes of recipes, cookbooks and magazines in storage which require a cull and sort (that's if wild animals haven't shredded them up to use as nesting material in the meantime.) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shortcake looks so delicious Simmone! You have really done a good job of those folders too. I went through my recipes quite recently too and threw out all those I hadn't even looked at since they were collected. Some I put back though, hoping one day I'd have the energy to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really NEED a piece of that passionfruit cake! Loving your organisation! Get you! xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...