Saturday, December 8, 2012

Making dough Christmas decorations

Have three doughs I thought you might like to try, the salt dough and soda dough I made for this year. The cinnamon decorations I made about 9 years ago. If I remember rightly, I had no trouble with the recipe and they still smell wonderfully spicy. Some insects got into the box the first year and nibbled so they look a bit moth eaten. Now I store them in a separate container. 
My favourite from the two this year would be the soda dough, love the texture. Not as grainy and whiter than the salt dough.
 I used the kids old play dough cutters, which were a bit rough around the edges. Also found a few stamps and bits from the craft cupboard to press into the dough shapes.
I was hoping to use a few as tags on Christmas gifts.


SALT DOUGH CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS
 1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
 
Mix dry ingredients together and add water.
Knead with hands to form dough.
Roll out and cut into shapes.
Bake in a slow oven for an hour or so, or leave to air dry for a week.
Colour dough or paint with acrylic paints when dry. 
 Hang. (I used rusty wire for these ones)


CINNAMON CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS
1 cup ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon ground cloves
3/4 cup of apple sauce
2 tablespoons of PVA glue (white glue)
 
Mix dry ingredients together.
Stir in apple sauce and glue and mix well.
Work together with your hands to form a dough.
Sprinkle work surface with cinnamon if needed.
Roll out portions of the dough 3-5 millimetres thick and cut into shapes with cutters.
This is not a flexible dough and may need a bit of pushing into shape.
Remember to make a hole near the top for hanging.
Allow to air dry for few days (turn them over a few times) or dry in the sun.




 SODA DOUGH ORNAMENTS
1/2 cup cornflour
1 cup bi-carb soda
3/4 cup water
 
 Mix ingredients together in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture congeals (like the cream of tartar play dough)
Place in bowl covered with cling wrap and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Roll out portions of the dough to a few millimetres thick.
Cut and or stamp with your choice of cutters or mould into shapes free-style.
 Remember to make a hole near the top if you want to hang up.
Add a few drops of food colouring if desired.
Bake in a slow oven for 15 mins and allow to air dry for a few days.
The recipe said to bake for longer, however my first tray started to brown, which I didn't want.
You could not bake at all and air dry, I tried this also and it worked fine.
String up.
 

 


  
 
Good project for the kids!
Have fun.
 

8 comments:

  1. I love the earthy look of the cinnamon ones Simmone, but they are are all lovely. I am loving the look of your tree too, so simple and nice x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever and useful! Yum!

    Clutter free. Love it.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will need to do this with the little one! Thanks for sharing! Your tree is simply beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three great looks! I love the whiteness of the soda dough, the terracotta look of the cinnamon dough and the look of shortbread biscuits that the salt dough has. You have been very creative with your stamps as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for decorating the tree! Thanx for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the milky whiteness of the soda dough ones too. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made cinnamon ornaments years ago...forgot all about it till I read this post. The soda dough ornaments are beautiful...just my style...plus they don't have to air dry as long as the others. We are doing Christmas with Mr.MS's side of the family this Saturday and these would make great little gifts to give and make with the girls.
    I keep thinking about house swapping and spending Christmas down under next year! Me and Mr.MS are feeling raw and would I think be up for anything that was different.
    Cheers,
    Leah






    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...