Friday, September 14, 2012

Don't let ME buy the paint!

 Naughty truant blogger that I am, not a post for weeks!
Been busy doing all sorts of things, baking, painting, gardening, sewing (of the non-sewer kind) and time has flown by. So here's the half a post from a few weeks ago.
Bed 2 was undercoated and ready for painting.
 


 
   So I had to go buy the paint during the week for a weekend paint job. Choosing a colour for this room was a pain. I had no idea what to use, that would be suitable as a unisex room, and I eventually just picked blue  ( thinking blue and pink/purple/yellow/green for a girl or blue and orange/yellow/black/red for a boy) and then decided to pick a paint-chip at the paint shop. I had the green paint-chip from bed 1 and I just wanted a blue in the same chalky tone as the green.  At the paint shop I was accosted by a chatty salesman who proceeded (in detail) to tell me how he and others added so much value to a relatives house by painting it (I must have looked like I needed convincing)
So I grabbed a paint-chip and said "This one", just to be rid of him. Of course it was going to be wrong #*&+% !!!!!
Seems I chose a colour befitting a baby boy's nursery (like 30 years ago!) That dread when you take the lid off a six litre tin and try to convince yourself it will do ,when you know it won't. So what to do? We decided to paint one coat and have a look.
 
 
Wrong,wrong,wrong!
 
 
 So, I took hubby back the next day (as a man-repellent) and we chose the colour I was after. The same salesman was there helping another female. Awkward! I mean, do we females look like we don't know what we want, ha.
 

After/ before
 
  Doorway between the bedrooms.



 
I'm still painting doors...
 

..and windows..


Working in this little cottage throughout winter has been very pleasant. Now that the living areas are on the northern side, they are awash with bright light for most of the day, which makes for a very cheerful spot.

 
Mr CH had a unexpected weekday-off, and on a side track home from the hardware shop (of course) we stopped in at an op-shop to have a sticky and bought this funny little piece. Which is apparently a desk, which we didn't know because the keys wouldn't work to open the top door, I thought it would make a nice bar-type piece. We had to bring it home, as it is the same style as The Super-ugly Sideboard (see popular posts in the sidebar) and it has curves (which hubby is rather partial to) Though it may sit where it is for a while, until I knock a few more things off from the "to do list".
 

I seem to be doing things not on the list, like painting this bookcase. Spring (not pinterest) has a lot to answer for. That and Mr CH, he suggested it. We keep buying brown furniture so we needed to de-brown something. So two days later it's done and waiting to harden-up so I can put all the junk back.


Three hours on the undercoat (oil based, how I loathe that stuff), top coated in Vivid White (surrounds and shelf front edges) and Wattyl Aspen Light (for the inside shelves). Which is the same colour from the Reno Cottage kitchen and my hallway shelf (with the rosey tins, which people seem to be pinning?) only from a new sample pot $10 with enough left for a table next on the list.
 
 
Mr CH is sitting here, asking me how to spell words and adding his own words to the dictionary when spellcheck gives him a hard time. He is sooo distracting. "Listening!, why does it need a  T?" he says! So if this rambling post makes any sense I'll be amazed.
 

Loving this plant at the moment, does anyone grow the yellow Brunfelsia, B. Amercana I think it is? Gotta go it's nearly cuppa time and the kids are still in bed!
Have a lovely weekend everyone, no school lunches aaaaaahh.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Your rambling posts are a joy to read Simmone. I love them x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good rambling post and your paint progress is very inspiring. Paint shop dudes have no idea, always follow your gut. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for dropping by -
    I love your paint and I especially love those walls - very lovely indeedy
    I hope that you have a sunny day
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to learn the fine art of interrupting ( referring to the annoying sales clerk at the paint desk). I always interrupt them..."yah, I already know what I WANT...thanks" works well. You have to stare directly in their eye balls. That is key.
    I love your book shelf make over.
    My own Mr.MS forbid to paint an antique buffet white. (His mom stripped it and restored it in the '80s...don't try to get in-between a husband and his mother...God help us!) But we tried to sell it, and got nothing. So a black under-layer with 3 coats of white, it is.
    Wished I loved painting as much as you do though.
    Cheers,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bookcase looks great! I love your rosy tins - I remember finding the pictures of them on Flickr. My local vintage shop has some beautiful rosy tins and I think of you and those photos everytime I see them. Do you want more of those tins? Should I buy them and post them up for you? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are getting so much painting done! And those windows and doors are so much work, more ornate than ours. Love the way your bookshelf turned out, it's fresh and light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Choosing paint colours from those tiny little sample chips seriously does my head in - I can never get it right. Glad you've found a colour that suits you now :)

    We have that bush too - we know it as 'Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow' - ours is looking the best it's ever looked, covered in flowers (actually we have about four bushes)

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S Forgot to say that I LOVE your bookcase - such a fresh look x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...