Monday, July 23, 2012

Handmade doorstop and magazine drooling...

Well, I finally finished the fabric doorstop I started 12 months ago. Just in time for the windy weather. As an almost non-sewer (thanks to the mental scars inflicted by my grade 8 home-ec teacher) my sewing is limited to taking up jeans and sewing projects that only have straight lines and as few of them as possible. So I must have felt confident to tackle something of my own thinking with no pattern. I didn't even know how to sew a circle! I can't even remember ironing on the fusing or pellon, but I roughly sewed it together to see if it would work and after mocking me half sewed from the fabric pile for the past year, I pulled it apart, gave up the idea of flowers in co-ordinating fabrics and went for plain felt. I wasn't going to waste time hand stitching if it wouldn't work. Tried bullion stitch for the first time and also buttonholes.


Took a bit of thinking to get all the bits sewn together in the right order with a bit of unpicking happening. Got chucked across the room. I wasn't sure what a good proportion for a doorstop was. Sewing ric-rac was a bit trickier than I thought. I didn't sew the circle as well as the first time - of course! Now that it's finally done, don't know if I like it anymore, ha (it's a bit pink).


My mum has a subscription to Aust. Country Style magazine and usually drops them by for me to read, the August issue had me drooling over a lady's lovely house of collectibles in Victoria.
There is something appealing, about a home full of things gathered over a lifetime, things that give a home personality and reflect the interests of the owners. Something that just doesn't come from the one shop.


Her beautiful collections and well worn furniture.

 And photographed by Sharyn Cairns, one Aussie photographer whose work I always keep an eye out for. I read an article in a photography mag of Mr CH's years ago about how she uses the natural light of the rooms to 'provide the most visually enticing, tight, neat image" to highlight something beautiful rather than showing the reader everything. (Australian Photography Sept 2010) Love her compositions.
 
Another pic of Sharyn's that I love from the Aust. Country Style feb 2012.
  
Another fav mag, Country Living - British edition June issue (late for us) has some lovely summery garden pics to ward off the winter blues. For a few hundred pounds you too could have the look!



For those of us whose gardens are looking a little swampy at the moment, English garden loveliness.
Wonder if Mr CH would build me a dovecote or would he dig out those birdhouses he made me, not quite the same are they?


  Country living also has a story on Christina Strutt's (Cabbages and Roses) mill cottage.


 And lovely veranda eye-candy from America. Interesting how many magazines are featuring one story per issue from another part of the world. Truly is a small world.


Enjoy your week ahead....

8 comments:

  1. Your doorstop is beautiful - well worth all the effort and time.... and uniquely yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Mag peek! Your lovely doorstop would fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, wow, the doorstop is awesome!

    The collector article looks really interesting, I must see if I can source one. Love all the photos, isn't it nice to take a moment out and flick through a great mag,

    hope all is well, Tam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on the doorstop - it look fabulous! I'm not very good at sewing and would have given up 12 months ago!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the doorstop - I'm impressed! I can barely sew on a button. Beautiful pics in the magazines.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a brilliant job of the door stop. I can barely sew and I can't imagine being abe to tackle that! Great job! Sherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the doorstop is fantastic and well done for completing something! I too make things up as I go and get frustrated by my ideas being so out of keeping with my actual sewing ability. melx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I got all caught up on Crazy House.
    That doorstop is really good.
    I have been sewing a long time and my stuff never turns out remotely straight and neat like that. Course the only thing I sew is simple square patch quilts. I have always liked country living, and always snatch up the British version whenever I am at Barnes&Noble ( a big bookstore chain). I almost like that one better. Thought after 11 years my house is stuffed and remodeled to the seams. Thought I would have a brand new house project to swim in this summer but we are still here with no interest in our house that is still for sale. The photography classes your MR.CH are taking is exiting...I am sure it is rubbing off on you. The cozy fire shots and your boys at the beach were great. Cheers,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...