Wednesday, February 29, 2012

And then there were three.

America's answer to the Beatles.
Yes I was a Monkees fan in my teeny years, mainly because of the TV show and it's goofy plots and slapstick comedy. One of those silly shows where the story didn't need to have a point' kind of like a Seinfeld episode about nothing. The catchy music was just a bonus. So I find out today that Davy Jones, the groups only non-American has died of a heart attack. A sad chapter for a group that began as four actors playing musicians in a TV series. Four "sissy longhairs" whose songs would outsell the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in 1967.

 Appearing on their TV show were Annette Funicello, Frank Zappa and Jack Nicholson to name a few.Their TV show was axed in 1968 along with Batman,I Dream of Jeanie and Tarzan.


 They came to Australia in 1968, we were their most successful market with 21 top 40 singles. Artists like Neil Diamond, Carol Bayer, Michael Murphy and John Stewart gained recognition from their association with the Monkees.Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart (Days of our Lives theme song) wrote some of their songs.


 The Monkees in the 80's.



Davy centre.
Trivia: Davy recorded some (unreleased) songs with Robin Gibb(Bee Gees) and Jan Barry(Jan and Dean).
For more info go here
Thanks for the crazy music!(I was listening to their records this morning!)
Yeah, I am a dag!

3 comments:

  1. I was sad when I heard the news too. I grew up on a diet of 60s sitcoms and the Monkees were a favourite. Did you know one of the monkees mum's invented liquid paper? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think dags are the best kind of people!
    I watched the Monkees on telly too, but my main memory of Davy Jones is when he appeared on The Brady Bunch. He ended up taking Marcia to the prom...did you see that episode?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I adored Davy too. So sad to hear about his passing. Great Post! Thanks for sharing. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...