Wednesday, June 29, 2011

DIY floor sanding.

We hired a "drum sander" and an "edge sander" from the hire shop on the Friday afternoon thinking we would sand the kitchen floor of the Reno Cottage. However Mr CH came home and said the hire shop don't hire for halfdays anymore. So he hired the sanders for Saturday and you get Sunday free. I guess in some areas you can't make noises on Sundays. As our neighbourhood is full of DIY'ers (code for :can't afford builders) and there is often something noisy happening, we sanded for a few hours on the Sunday. One neighbour popped in to see how it was going and said he'd like to go halves with us next time to cut costs if we liked, as he wanted to sand a room.

I don't know what we were doing here, as we did wear masks and those little squishy earplugs as the drum sander is quite loud. The kitchen floor was in pretty bad condition with some residue from the tiles and some water damage, so we knew it would need a heavy-duty sand. This is our second time using a drum sander and it does get easier with each go. You just have to start with coarse grit on the first pass (which is the slowest,most time consuming pass) and finish with fine grit sandpaper. We like to finish with the orbital sander and then give the floor a light mopping to make sure no "ripples" are missed.


We didn't punch any nails in, to start with, preferring to sand down the rusty tops to be punched in later.



The floorboards are mixed hardwood throughout, and once the grime has been sanded off the colours start to show.



Sanding already flat floorboards was easier than when Mr CH sanded tongue and groove floorboards (which he installed himself)for our own house extention. There he had to sand them to the same level as some boards were planed slightly thicker.


Mr CH using the edge sander near the bathroom door.


I had to have a go to see if I could do it!

The edge sander has a spinning disk unlike the orbital sander that just vibrates, and I found I had to hold on tight or it would pull away. Can't say I liked using it, it was a bit scary. Sanded well though.


We (Mr CH) sanded the kitchen, dining and sanded the edges on Saturday. Then we finished sanding the 2nd bedroom and edges on the Sunday and were finished by lunchtime, giving us plenty of time to de-dust the machines and load them in the car for me to drop them back Monday morning.


In the dining room you may notice dark stains on the floor. We are not quite sure if these are from termite spray under the boards or (more likely) from mopping water seeping through joins in old lino flooring.



The sander removed some but not all the stains so it will be interesting to see how the floor turns out after polishing.


Corner of dining room.




We think sanding the floor has also helped eliminate alot of the smell especially in the kitchen. Now you don't gag everytime you walk in.


One and a half days hard work (sore shoulders and stiff back for a few days).

Children neglected.

Hire of sanders - $175.

Saving - hundreds of $

Man caught using a broom - so worth it!




28 comments:

  1. Such a big big job. Good on you guys. We've never dared sand our floors in any of our houses - such chickens we are!

    I can't wait to see how they come up when they are oiled. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe, love the last shot, priceless.

    I was a bit worried, when you said that the edge sander was scary and could pull away any time and you were wearing thongs, good lord!!!

    The floors are gorgeous!

    Our neighbour is a self employed carpenter that works in his shed at all hours of the night, but our noisy windmill is payback (when it needs an oil), hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for giving it a go and doing so well. Can't say we were ever game to try. But you are right in the savings! Well done. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done guys! It's looking amazing.

    We hired a floor sander to even out the glue bumps on our hebel powerFloor. It created soooo much dust it was crazy.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always worth it to catch a man with a broom. Refinishing flooring by yourself is tough. My husband and I did it too but we weren't as lucky as you guys. Our floors had some kind of sticky gum on it that caught fire when we tried to sand it so we had to remove it and then sand.

    It was all worth it in the end though as I'm sure you're finding out.

    April

    ReplyDelete
  6. That timber is coming up well. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Beth x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a big job but looks great, nothing better than floor boards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mrs. Crazy Horse,
    I simply love your blog!
    Just when I was starting to feel guilty over the amount of time I spend clicking away on this computer, staring at this screen, BAM, I find your blog (thanks for the contact invite of flickr by the way), reminding why I love blogs so much.
    You and your Mr CH remind me of me and my hubby...whom I am seriously considering dubbing Mr MS on my blog from now on.
    We have been steadily working on our suburb house for 10 years now, and now that it is complete, are selling in the Spring and starting all over again, this time in the country. Have loved looking at all your vintage finds, and will be using all your DIY(yes that is code for "can't afford builders"...so funny) posts for reference whenever we get that house in the country.
    Cheers,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for giving all the information about Floor Sanding services.


    Floor Sanding is very popular in London. Floor sanding London is done through a selection of professional, exile the outdated drum Sanders And use effective virtually dust-free sanding Solution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work guys!!
    I have ordered new floor sanding equipment and was thinking who would do my floor sander,but your dedication for your house made me clear that even I would do this work myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,

    I have found your blog, it is very nice and helpful to me. You have defined the all process to repair the wood floor step by step. To get the all process restore the wood floor visit at Floor Sanding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a bit of water stain in that floor - Generally it will only sand out to a degree. Looks like you got the bulk of it out - Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to thank you for the efforts you've put in penning this site. I really hope to view the same high-grade content by you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own, personal site now ;)

    Here is my blog post: hardwood flooring

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this web page,
    and your views are nice in support of new users.


    Feel free to surf to my webpage - hardwood floors

    ReplyDelete
  16. Usually I don't read post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, very nice post.

    Also visit my page: wood floors

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there, I think your web site may be having web browser compatibility issues.

    When I look at your site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it's got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Besides that, excellent blog!

    Here is my page :: cleaner jobs

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love your blog.. Great colors & theme. Did
    you develop this web site yourself? Please
    reply back as I'm attempting to create my own personal blog and would love to learn where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Thanks!
    hardwood floor

    my blog post; engineered hardwood floors

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with? I'm planning
    to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a difficult time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something
    unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!


    business project management software

    my blog post - attorney arizona criminal defense

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a great job. I absolutely agree your blog. It's looking amazing.

    My Blog - Wood Floor Sander in London

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for share the great information..!!
    You can visit my site : Floor sanding

    ReplyDelete
  23. Concluding wood made floor surfaces through an orbital sander or possibly a Trio-like sander (having at heart the favorite Lagler Trio unit or similar) may achieve the higher and speedier effects in also floor surfaces using a reasonably great express. Guide oneself get rid of the preceding sealant and go on working on accomplishing even Sanding floors surface area.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sanding a wood Floor sanding floor simply takes a little quietness and emulating a certain technique to get the comes about that you need. Here is an orderly guide on how you can sand your wood floor and have it looking like new instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. MBS Gates and Fencing Construction our contractors main aim is to deliver the best possible products and service while tending to your fencing needs. Pool fencing Perth | Fencing construction Perth

    ReplyDelete
  26. Floorsanderhirelondon is very popular in London. Floor sanding London is done through a selection of professional, exile the outdated drum Sanders And use effective virtually dust-free sanding Solution. For More Information : http://www.floorsanderhirelondon.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is very nice and helpful to me. You have defined the all process to repair the wood floor step by step. And Continue durty Floor In my Office . Everyday search the Floor Cleaning And maintenance company Once A day i searced the http://www.floorsanderhirelondon.co.uk/ Company . this company Provide the good services . one time offered the service in company .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...