Quite often in these old homes the floorcoverings ( lino or carpet mats) were reserved for the "public" rooms such as the hall and sitting/living/dining rooms and the floors in the bedrooms were left bare. After years of grime were sanded off, the floorboards still had an aged look.The aim is to make the new look aged 100+ years.
So armed with our handy collection of wood-stains I started blending stains in shades of "golden oak,antique walnut,jarrah and a bit of baltic"to achieve a close match. I like to wet the boards either side with water while I'm staining to see the colour of the boards I'm trying to match to.
Nearly there, I think.
The floor-polish we like to use is a tung oil based estapol applied with a lamb's wool mop. We prefer a satin look for our old floors.
This stuff is so easy to use, you just mop it on, going along the length of the boards. The advantage of this varnish is that you can re-coat years down the track without having to sand the floor back.
Only included to show girls can do it too!
I know, so glamorous!
1st coat will look dry because it seals the floor for the following coats.
Large gaps and holes were filled with "colour flex"by parfix which is an acrylic gap filler and sealant. We used black.
I chose to hand sand the whole floor for a few reasons, one being I wanted to leave some marks on the floor as we both like things a little "rustic". Marks made from moving old iron beds around are part of the history of this old house.
I also chose to leave the nail holes unfilled. Mr CH had to help with nail punching as I'm not very good at gritting my teeth and hoping I won't hammer my fingers. The"double" holes are mine!
So far so good (for me). Next step coat 3, see what that looks like and fitting skirting boards. Until then take care.